Oct 28, 2021
Program Coordinator: Cynthia Wagoner (211 AJ Fletcher Music Center; 252-328-5721; firstname.lastname@example.org)
Minimum degree requirement is 120 s.h. as follows:
I. General education requirements including those listed below - 40 s.h.
(For information about courses that carry general education credit see General Education Program .)
- Five semester hours (5 s.h.) of large ensemble (1 s.h. per semester) may count toward the general education fine arts (GE: FA) requirement. See 2. Common core, Performance groups.
- MUSC 2248 - Introduction to World Music Cultures counts toward the general education elective.
II. Common core - 59-64 s.h.
A. MUSC courses - 28 s.h.
B. MUSC elective - 1 s.h.
C. Performance groups - 2-7 s.h.
The performance groups total requirement is seven semester hours (7 s.h.). Five semester hours (5 s.h.) of large ensemble (1 s.h. per semester) may count toward the general education fine arts (GE:FA) requirement, resulting in this section only counting for 2 s.h. of the total 120 s.h. minimum degree requirement. Music education majors whose primary instrument is wind/percussion take large ensemble courses that are not designated as fine arts and will be required to earn 5 s.h. of large ensemble courses to satisfy the performance groups requirement. See below notes.
1. A minimum of 5 semester hours (5 s.h.) of large ensemble is required.
Choose from the following:
- Approval of student’s major applied instructor and ensemble directors is required for ensemble registration.
- Music education majors whose primary instrument is wind/percussion must include either two semesters of MUSC 1706 - Marching Band Field Experience or one semester of MUSC 1706 - Marching Band Field Experience and one semester of MUSC 3277 - Marching Band Practices and Techniques . These courses are not designated as fine arts and cannot be counted towards the general education 40 s.h. requirement.
- Music majors may count only two semester hours of MUSC 1706 - Marching Band Field Experience (1 s.h.) for large ensemble credit. MUSC 1705 - Marching Band (2 s.h.) may not count toward large ensemble credit for music majors. Music majors taking more than 2 s.h. of MUSC 1706 or MUSC 1705 must sign a release form. The form is available in the music office and clarifies that hours above the required 2 s.h. of MUSC 1706 will not count as part of the music education degree plan at ECU, and that these extra hours may lead to additional hours on a student’s transcript before graduation.
2. A minimum of 2 semester hours (2 s.h.) of small ensemble is required.
Small ensemble credits do not count toward the general education fine arts requirement.
Choose from the following:
D. Music education - 8 s.h.
Choose one of the following tracks of study. Students must earn at least a C in each track course with an asterisk and in MUSC 2123 to be admitted to the internship (MUSC 4324).
1. Instrumental music education track:
2. Vocal/general music education track:
E. Professional studies - 20 s.h.
III. Applied music - 21 s.h.
(keyboard, string, voice, wind or percussion)
A. Applied major - 14 s.h.
- No more than 6 semesters of 1000 level applied courses and 3 semesters of 3000 level applied courses can be counted toward this requirement.
- Students must present a half senior recital.
B. Applied minor - 7 s.h.
A student who is exempt from any applied minor courses specified must take other applied minor courses to complete the total required hours.
Major instrument: keyboard
Major instrument: strings
Major instrument: wind or percussion
The following to be selected according to applied major instrument: