Feb 01, 2023  
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog 
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Recreational Therapy, BS

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Certificates, Degrees and other Undergraduate Programs

Program Coordinator: Megan Janke (1402 Carol Belk Building; 252-737-1538; jankem@ecu.edu)

The recreational therapy (RT) program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) through the Committee on Accreditation for Recreational Therapy Education (CARTE). Any student wishing to declare a major in recreational therapy (RT) must, at the time of entrance into the curriculum, possess a minimum 2.5 GPA; have completed ENGL 1100 , ENGL 2201 ; MATH 1065  or MATH 1066  or MATH 1067  or MATH 2127 ; and BIOL 2130 , BIOL 2131  or BIOL 2140 , BIOL 2141 ; have submitted an application; have a personal interview with a RT faculty member; and have completed a sequencing form (timetable) in consultation with a RCTX advisor in the HHP Advising Center and their RT faculty advisor. Prior to registering for 4000 level RCTX courses, all RT students are required to complete the recreational therapy fieldwork experience. This requires a minimum of 25 documented hours of directed experience in recreational therapy programs and recreation-based activities for individuals with disabilities. Information relating to this process is provided via department web site, through the Health and Human Performance Advising Center and through the RT faculty. Admission to recreational therapy is competitive and limited due to space availability. Majors must maintain a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA and a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA in all cognate courses to remain in good standing. Majors must earn a minimum grade of C (2.0) in all required RCLS and RCTX courses. A student wishing to appeal should contact the RCLS chair within two weeks of notification of academic deficiency. Graduates are eligible to apply to sit for the examination to become nationally credentialed as a certified therapeutic recreation specialist (CTRS) and licensed recreational therapist (LRT) in North Carolina.

The minimum degree requirement is 120 s.h. of credit as follows:

4. Electives to complete requirements for graduation.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Certificates, Degrees and other Undergraduate Programs