Jan 20, 2022  
2020-2021 Undergraduate Catalog 
2020-2021 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Family and Consumer Sciences Education, BS

Program Coordinator: Cheryl Johnson (123-W Rivers Building; 252-328-5754; johnsonche@ecu.edu)

Freshmen may declare family and consumer sciences (FACS) teacher education as their major. Transfer students must have completed at least 12 s.h. at East Carolina University with a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.7 to declare. Prior to enrolling in selected courses, all FACS students must be admitted to the Upper Division of Teacher Education. Requirements for admission to upper division include, but are not limited to, satisfactory scores on PRAXIS Core, a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7, and demonstration of computer competency. In addition, FACS majors must achieve a minimum grade of C (2.0) in all courses required for the major. Students earning less than a C (2.0) in a prerequisite major course must repeat the course before the subsequent upper-level course may be taken. FACS students are required to complete the ServSafe Manager Certificate prior to graduation.

Applications for admission to internship must be submitted to the internship coordinator one year prior to the semester in which the student will complete internship requirements. For admission to internship, FACS majors must have a minimum grade of C (2.0) in the early experience (FACS 2123 ), methods courses (FACS 2380 FACS 4317 , FACS 4323 ), and EDUC 3200 . A minimum grade of C (2.0) in internship (FACS 4324 ) is required for licensure. Additional information about upper division, internship, and licensure can be found in the College of Education section of this catalog and in the handbook, Welcome to Teacher Education.

Minimum degree requirement is 120 s.h. of credit as follows:

4. Electives to complete requirements for graduation.

Licensure/Certification Requirements in North Carolina

The curriculum for all ECU academic programs have been designed to meet the licensure/certification requirements in North Carolina and prepare students to sit for licensure/certification exams in North Carolina. The various licensure boards in each state are responsible for setting requirements for licensure/certification in their state. Other states have their own requirements, and you’ll want to make sure your program meets criteria in your home state (or state where you intend to work) before you apply. Search our state  Licensure Dashboard to see if the program you’re interested in meets the educational requirements for licensing/certification in your home state (or state where you intend to work).