Skip to Navigation
    East Carolina University
  Feb 18, 2018
2015-2016 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership, EdD

Return to Degrees, Minors and Certificates Return to: Degrees, Minors and Certificates

The doctor of education in educational leadership (EdD) degree is designed to develop skills and abilities for individuals to resolve educational issues and problems. Program studies include leadership theory, human resource development, organizational theory, policy analysis, planning studies, curriculum and instructional leadership, and political systems analysis. The degree prepares senior level administrators for leadership positions in public schools or in higher education. A minimum of 60-semester hours beyond a master’s degree is required. Requirements include a research-based dissertation completed under the direction of an appropriate faculty member, as well as a supervised internship experience.

Candidates seeking the EdD with a focus on public school administration must hold Level I licensure in administration or supervision. Upon completion of the program, individuals are eligible to upgrade previously held licenses. Individuals holding administration license (012, class M or class AP) and/or (011, class AS) are eligible for (012, class DP) and superintendent license (011, class DS). Individuals holding supervision license (113, class S) are eligible for curriculum-instructional specialist (113, class D). Candidates seeking the EdD with a concentration in higher education administration are not required to hold a previous license and are not eligible for North Carolina license in administration or supervision upon completion of the program.

In addition, it is desirable for all candidates for the EdD program to have three years of successful leadership experience.

The degree requires 60 s.h. of credit as follows:


(LEED 8056  is required for higher education administration concentration)

Concentration areas - 21 s.h.

(Choose one.)

Dissertation - 6 s.h.:

Return to Degrees, Minors and Certificates Return to: Degrees, Minors and Certificates