Jun 18, 2024  
2018-2019 Graduate Catalog 
2018-2019 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Expenses and Financial Assistance

General Information

Because of the early publication of this catalog, the tuition and fee schedule is omitted. The current university schedule of tuition and fees can be obtained from the cashier’s office, the admissions office, or at www.ecu.edu/cs-admin/financial_serv/cashier/tufee.cfm.

It is estimated that the average graduate student who is a North Carolina resident incurs necessary expenses of approximately $19, 700for room, meals, tuition, fees, and books during an academic year of two semesters. The costs of meals and textbooks may vary considerably, according to individual requirements. The university operates food service facilities in six locations throughout the campus. Meals are available either under a meal plan or by individual selections at moderate prices. A cost of approximately $1,900 per semester for meals is an estimate. Students are required to purchase or rent their textbooks. For their convenience, the university owns and operates the Student Stores, located on the ground floor of the Wright Building, where all necessary books and supplies may be purchased. The cost of books will vary with the different curricula; $400-$600 per semester is a reasonable estimate.

Residence Status for Tuition Purposes

The basis for determining the appropriate tuition charge rests upon whether a student is a resident or a nonresident for tuition purposes. Each student must make a statement as to the length of his or her residence in North Carolina, with assessment by the institution of that statement to be conditioned by the following:

Residence. To qualify as a resident for tuition purposes, a person must become a legal resident and remain a legal resident for at least 12 months immediately prior to classification. Thus, there is a distinction between legal residence and residence for tuition purposes. Furthermore, 12 months legal residence means more than simple abode in North Carolina. In particular it means maintaining a domicile (permanent home of indefinite duration) as opposed to “maintaining a mere temporary residence or abode incident to enrollment in an institution of higher education”. The burden of establishing facts which justify classification of a student as a resident eligible to in-state tuition rates is on the applicant for such classification, who must show his or her eligibility by the preponderance (the greater part) of the residentiary information.

Initiative. Being classified a resident for tuition purposes is contingent on the student’s seeking such status and providing all information that the institution may require in making the determination.

Parents’ Domicile. If an individual, irrespective of age, has living parent(s) or court-appointed guardian of the person, the domicile of such parent(s) or guardian is, prima facie, the domicile of the individual; but this prima facie evidence of the individual’s domicile may or may not be sustained by other information. Further, nondomiciliary status of parents is not deemed prima facie evidence of the applicant child’s status if the applicant has lived (though not necessarily legally resided) in North Carolina for the five years preceding enrollment or re-registration.

Effect of Marriage. Marriage alone does not prevent a person from becoming or continuing to be a resident for tuition purposes, nor does marriage in any circumstances insure that a person will become or continue to be a resident for tuition purposes. Marriage and the legal residence of one’s spouse are, however, relevant information in determining residentiary intent. Furthermore, if both a husband and his wife are legal residents of North Carolina and if one of them has been a legal resident longer than the other, then the longer duration may be claimed by either spouse in meeting the twelve-month requirement for in-state tuition status.

Military Personnel. A North Carolinian who serves outside the state in the armed forces does not lose North Carolina domicile simply by reason of such service. And students from the military may prove retention or establishment of residence by reference, as in other cases, to residentiary acts accompanied by residentiary intent. In addition, a separate North Carolina statute affords tuition rate benefits to certain military personnel and their dependents even though not qualifying for the in-state tuition rate by reason of twelve months legal residence in North Carolina. Members of the armed services, while stationed in and concurrently living in North Carolina, may be charged the in-state tuition rate. A dependent relative of a service member stationed in North Carolina is eligible to be charged the in-state tuition rate while the dependent relative is living in North Carolina with the service member and if the dependent relative has met any requirement of the Selective Service System applicable to the dependent relative. These tuition benefits may be enjoyed only if the applicable requirements for admission have been met; these benefits alone do not provide the basis for receiving those derivative benefits under the provisions of the residence classification statute reviewed elsewhere in this summary.

Grace Period. If a person (1) has been a bona fide legal resident of the required duration, (2) has consequently been classified a resident for tuition purposes, and (3) has subsequently lost North Carolina legal residence while enrolled at a public institution of higher education, that person may continue to enjoy the in-state tuition rate for a grace period of twelve months measured from the date on which North Carolina legal residence was lost. If the twelve months period ends during an academic term for which the person is enrolled at a state institution of higher education, the grace period extends, in addition, to the end of that term. The fact of marriage to one who continues domicile outside North Carolina does not by itself cause loss of legal residence, marking the beginning of the grace period.

Minors. Minors (persons under eighteen years of age) usually have the domicile of their parents, but certain special cases are recognized by the residence classification statute in determining residence for tuition purposes.

  1. If a minor’s parents live apart, the minor’s domicile is deemed to be North Carolina for the time period(s) that either parent, as a North Carolina legal resident, may claim and does claim the minor as a tax dependent, even if other law or judicial act assigns the minor’s domicile outside North Carolina. A minor thus deemed to be a legal resident will not, upon achieving majority before enrolling at an institution of higher education, lose North Carolina legal residence if that person
    1. upon becoming an adult “acts, to the extent that the person’s degree of actual emancipation permits, in a manner consistent with bona fide legal residence in North Carolina” and
    2. “begins enrollment at an institution of higher education not later than the fall academic term following completion of education prerequisite to admission at such institution.”
  2. If a minor has lived for five or more consecutive years with relatives (other than parents) who are domiciled in North Carolina and if the relatives have functioned during this time as if they were personal guardians, the minor will be deemed a resident for tuition purposes for an enrolled term commencing immediately after at least five years in which these circumstances have existed. If under this consideration a minor is deemed to be a resident for tuition purposes immediately prior to his or her eighteenth birthday, that person on achieving majority will be deemed a legal resident of North Carolina of at least twelve months’ duration. This provision acts to confer instate tuition status even in the face of other provisions of law to the contrary; however, a person deemed a resident of twelve months’ duration pursuant to this provision continues to be a legal resident of the state only so long as he or she does not abandon North Carolina domicile.

Lost But Regained Domicile. If a student ceases enrollment at or graduates from an institution of higher education while classified a resident for tuition purposes and then both abandons and reacquires North Carolina domicile within a twelve month period, that person, if he or she continues to maintain the reacquired domicile into re-enrollment at an institution of higher education, may re-enroll at the in-state tuition rate without having to meet the usual twelve-month durational requirement. However, any one person may receive the benefit of this provision only once.

Change of Status. A student admitted to initial enrollment in an institution (or permitted to re-enroll following an absence from the institutional program which involved a formal withdrawal from enrollment) must be classified by the admitting institution either as a resident or as a nonresident for tuition purposes prior to actual enrollment. A residence status classification once assigned (and finalized pursuant to any appeal properly taken) may be changed thereafter (with corresponding change in billing rates) only at intervals corresponding with the established primary divisions of the academic year.

Transfer Students. When a student transfers from one North Carolina public institution of higher education to another, he or she is treated as a new student by the institution to which he or she is transferring and must be assigned an initial residence status classification for tuition purposes.

Regulations on Residency: the Manual. University regulations concerning the classification of students by residence, for purposes of applicable tuition differentials, are set forth in detail in A Manual to Assist the Public Higher Education Institutions of North Carolina in the Matter of Student Residence Classification for Tuition Purposes. Each enrolled student is responsible for knowing the contents of that Manual, which is the controlling administrative statement of policy on this subject. Copies of the Manual are available on request at the undergraduate admissions office, the registrar’s office, and the Joyner and Health Sciences Libraries. The Manual is also available online in the residency section of the registrar’s home page: http://www.ecu.edu/registrar/.

Deadline for Application. Newly admitted or readmitted graduate students applying for the in-state rate for tuition should complete the Application for In-State Residence and Tuition and return it to the graduate residency classification officer in the Graduate School, at least three weeks prior to registration day for the semester or term they are seeking in-state tuition.


Fee Payment Schedule

Returning students or those admitted and registering before the collection of fees begins for the fall or spring semesters will be subject to a late payment fee if tuition and fees are not paid by a published deadline, which usually precedes registration day by about two weeks. The academic calendars include the published deadlines and can be accessed online at http://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/fsonline/senate/fscalend.cfm.

Students will be charged tuition and fees based on admission status.

Tuition and fees are subject to revision by The UNC Board of Governors and/or the ECU Board of Trustees, who reserve the right to revise them at any time found necessary or advisable and without prior notice.

No person is allowed to attend class or receive class instruction without being properly registered either for credit or for audit.

See www.ecu.edu/financial_serv/cashier/tufee.cfm for summer session and continuing studies fees.

Indebtedness to the University and Returned Checks

No degree, diploma, or certificate will be granted or transcript of credits furnished a student until all financial obligations to the university, other than secured student loans, have been paid. A student may not be permitted to register, to attend classes, or to take final examinations after the due date of any unpaid obligations.

A charge will be imposed by the Office of the Cashier, Student Stores, and other university offices for returned (NSF) checks. They may subject the maker to legal action and may jeopardize other financial privileges on campus such as cashing checks where allowed.

Refund Policy

Refunding of Tuition and Fees

It is to the financial advantage of all students withdrawing, dropping to part-time status, or dropping to a lower block of credit hours to do so as early in the semester/session as possible. The official withdrawal policy may be found in the academic regulations section of this catalog. Refunds for tuition and required fees (excluding room and board charges which are determined by contractual agreement) will be made as follows for students who withdraw or drop to a lower block of credit hours:

  • Through the first week of classes (five class days starting the first official day of classes for the university) tuition and required fees will be refunded at 100 percent.
  • The second week of classes (six to ten consecutive class days) tuition and required fees will be refunded at 75 percent minus the $25 nonrefundable processing fee.
  • The third week of classes (eleven to fifteen consecutive class days) tuition and required fees will be refunded at 50 percent minus the $25 nonrefundable processing fee.
  • The fourth week of classes (sixteen to twenty consecutive class days) tuition and required fees will be refunded at 25 percent minus the $25 nonrefundable processing fee.
  • Beginning with the fifth week of classes (twenty-first consecutive class day) refunds will not be considered.

If the student wishes to appeal balances resulting from tuition and fee charges, the process must be initiated in writing to the Tuition Refund Appeals Committee. The written appeal can be submitted to the Cashier’s Office or via e-mail to tuitionappeals@ecu.edu.

All refunds are subject to the above noted time limitations and will be based on the difference between the amount paid and the charge for the block of hours for which the student is officially registered.

Policy Exceptions

There will be no refunds for special course fees after the first five class days of each semester.

A separate and extended refund policy exists for federal Title IV financial aid and North Carolina state aid programs. Generally, students withdrawing from the institution may owe a repayment of all or some portion of the financial aid received. Please refer to financial aid materials or contact the Office of Student Financial Aid.

To officially withdraw from the university, a student must give written notice to the Office of the Registrar.

Any refunds that a student is entitled to shall first be applied to outstanding financial obligations owed the university.

Summer Sessions

The refund period for withdrawal or reduction in course load is limited to the first week of classes (five class days starting with the first official day of classes for the university). During this period, 100 percent of the tuition and fees will be refunded.

Financial Assistance

Veterans Administration Educational Payments

The Offices of Veterans Administration (VA) and Social Security require a minimum course load of 9 s.h. of required courses per semester (except summer session) for payment of full-time benefits to eligible veterans and dependents.

After the student declares a major, benefits will be paid only for courses listed in the catalog under that degree/major program. Substitutions may be allowed when the major chairperson gives written approval prior to the student’s taking the course.

Students declared academically ineligible will be required to remove their probation before educational benefits can be recertified to the VA.

Students may be eligible to receive a special allowance for individual tutoring. A student may receive tutorial assistance as long as the student is enrolled in a post secondary program at least half time, is deficient in the course, and is enrolled in the course during the same term in which tutoring is received. Students can be reimbursed up to $100 a month. The maximum amount payable is $1200. There is no entitlement charge under chapter 35. There is no entitlement charge for the first $600 under chapters 30 and 1606.

Further information is available at the campus veterans affairs office, or by checking on their Web site, www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/registrar/Veterans.cfm.

National/International Fellowships and Scholarships

East Carolina University maintains a website devoted to national and international fellowships and scholarships to familiarize students with the competitive national and international fellowships and scholarships available to selected students intent on pursuing graduate work. The website includes the names of ECU faculty contact persons where identified.

These fellowships and scholarships, for the most part, are for terms long enough to ensure completion of the master’s degree, and in some cases to allow work on the doctoral degree. Among the fellowships and scholarships coordinated by this office are the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship, the Marshall Scholarships, the Rhodes Scholarships, the Fulbright Grants, National Science Foundation Fellowships and the Harry S. Truman Scholarships (undergraduate only).

Interested students should contact the Office of University Scholarships for more information (101 Whichard Building, 252-328-5816).

Office of Student Financial Aid

Through the use of federal and state funds as well as contributions from its many friends and alumni, East Carolina University makes every effort to assist students in the continuation of their education. The staff of the university Office of Student Financial Aid assists students in obtaining funds from the source best suited to the individual’s need.

Three main types of financial assistance are available to qualified students: gift aid, consisting of grants and scholarships; long-term educational loans; and part-time employment. Students classified as nondegree auditors, special students, or visitors are not eligible for financial aid at East Carolina University, though visitors may seek assistance from their home institutions. Students who are not fully admitted degree-seeking graduate students may in limited situations borrow a Federal Stafford Loan only for a limited period of time (not to exceed nine months or two semesters) for coursework that is a prerequisite for admission to an ECU graduate program.

Because the primary aim of the financial aid programs is to provide assistance to students who, without aid, would be unable to continue their education, most of the funds are awarded on the basis of financial need. However, in its efforts to strive for excellence, the university offers assistance to some talented students based on merit rather than need.

The university participates in federal programs which provide funds on the basis of financial need as follows:

  • Federal Work-Study Program
  • Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program
  • Nursing Student Loan
  • Federal Graduate PLUS (loan program)

Information pertaining to the application process, types of aid available, and academic requirements may be obtained from the East Carolina University Office of Student Financial Aid. Students should contact appropriate deans or departmental chairpersons of intended major areas concerning scholarships that are available in those disciplines.

Office of University Scholarships

The goal of the Office of University Scholarships is to provide students and their families with information on both internal and external scholarship opportunities. Scholarships are gifts of money that do not require repayment.

Scholarships usually recognize special achievements in academics, talent, and leadership. Some scholarships may also require that students demonstrate financial need. Financial need will be determined by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Scholarships can come from a variety of sources. Scholarships may be awarded by the Office of University Scholarships and by each of the colleges on our campus. There are scholarships for incoming freshmen, transfer students as well as students currently enrolled at the university.

East Carolina University has many scholarships that have been made available through the generous donations of alumni and friends of the university. Scholarship eligibility, criteria, and amounts may change at any time without prior notice. Information pertaining to the scholarships available and the application process may be obtained from the Office of University Scholarships and at www.ecu.edu/universityscholarships. Many scholarship opportunities can be located by visiting the ECU Online Scholarship Management System at https://ecu.academicworks.com. Students may also find additional information about discipline/major specific scholarships by contacting the academic department of their intended major or by viewing college Web pages.

Interested students should contact the Office of University Scholarships for more information (101 Whichard Building, 252-328-5816).