Mar 21, 2023  
2018-2019 Graduate Catalog 
2018-2019 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Recreation Services and Interventions, MS

Program Coordinator: Clifton Watts (1409 Carol G. Belk Building; 252-737-2426;

The Department of Recreation and Leisure Studies offers a master of science degree in recreation services and interventions with two concentrations – recreation and park administration (RPA) and recreational therapy administration (RTA).The program is designed for individuals employed in or seeking employment in a diverse range of settings. The concentration in recreation and park administration prepares students for positions in multiple settings including community parks and recreation, recreation resource management, recreation sports management, and travel and tourism. The concentration in recreational therapy administration provides advanced education for clinical, administrative, and research positions in recreational therapy and healthcare-related careers. Individuals pursuing the RTA concentration who do not meet national certification requirements upon admission will be required to take supplemental course work while enrolled in the graduate program.

The degree requires 36 s.h. as follows: 

2. Concentration - 12 s.h.

(Choose one area.)


  will be required of recreation and park administration students who do not have approved prior experience, internship, or certification in recreation or recreational therapy.

Choose 3 s.h. of approved electives.


  is required for recreational therapy administration students who are not currently state or nationally credentialed in recreational therapy.

3. Thesis or non-thesis option - 12 s.h.

(Choose an option by concentration.)

Recreation and park administration:

Thesis option (12 s.h.)

Non-thesis option (12 s.h.)

Recreational therapy administration:

Thesis option (12 s.h.)

  • Requires a comprehensive examination
  • (6 s.h.)
  • 6 s.h. of approved interventions-based electives

Non-thesis option (12 s.h.)