Jul 18, 2024  
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Public Health, BS

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Certificates, Degrees, and other Undergraduate Programs

Program Coordinator: Kelli Russell (2207 Carol Belk Building; 252-328-5388; russellk14@ecu.edu)

Students entering the Public Health, BS program choose one of three concentrations: community health, prehealth professions, or worksite health promotion. The community health concentration requires a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 for entry. Students entering the worksite health promotion concentration must have a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA. Students entering the prehealth professions concentration must have a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA and a minimum 3.0 GPA calculated using the most recent grade earned at a college or university in the following courses: BIOL 1100 , BIOL 1101 , BIOL 1200 , BIOL 1201 ; CHEM 1150 , CHEM 1151 , CHEM 1160 , CHEM 1161 . All students must declare on or before reaching 75 credit hours.

The degree requires a minimum of 120 s.h. as follows:

1. General education requirements including those listed below - 40 s.h.

(For information about courses that carry general education credit view the General Education Program  section.)

3. Concentrations - 40-48 s.h.

(Choose one concentration.)

4. Electives to complete requirements for graduation.

Note: It is recommended that courses be taken which reinforce content in the physical, social, and behavioral sciences, or provide the student with a community health specialty area such as gerontology, environmental health, or health promotion. Number of elective hours varies by concentration.

Licensure/Certification Requirements in North Carolina

The curriculum for all ECU Certificates, Degrees, and Minors  have been designed to meet the licensure/certification requirements in North Carolina and prepare students to sit for licensure/certification exams in North Carolina. The various licensure boards in each state are responsible for setting requirements for licensure/certification in their state. Other states have their own requirements, and you’ll want to make sure your program meets criteria in your home state (or state where you intend to work) before you apply. Search our state  Licensure Dashboard to see if the program you’re interested in meets the educational requirements for licensing/certification in your home state (or state where you intend to work).

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Certificates, Degrees, and other Undergraduate Programs