Jul 18, 2024  
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Recreational Therapy, BS

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Certificates, Degrees, and other Undergraduate Programs

Program Coordinator: Cari Autry (2403 Carol Belk Building; 252-737-1511; autryca18@ecu.edu)

The Recreational Therapy, BS program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) through the Committee on Accreditation for Recreational Therapy Education (CARTE).

Any student wishing to declare a major in recreational therapy (RT) must, at the time of entrance into the curriculum, possess a minimum 2.5 GPA; have completed ENGL 1100 , ENGL 2201 ; MATH 1065  or MATH 1066  or MATH 2127  or MATH 2228 BIOL 2130 , BIOL 2131  and RCTX 2230 ; have submitted a recorded interview and application; have a personal interview with a RT faculty member; and have completed a sequencing form (timetable) in consultation with a RCTX advisor in the HHP Advising Center.

Prior to registering for 4000 level RCTX courses, all recreational therapy students are required to complete the fieldwork experience. This requires a minimum of 25 documented hours of directed experience in recreational therapy programs and recreation-based activities for individuals with disabilities. Information relating to this process is provided via recreational therapy faculty members, via the department website, and via the College of Health and Human Performance Advising Center.

Admission to recreational therapy is competitive and limited due to space availability. Majors must maintain a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA and a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA in all cognate courses to remain in good standing. Majors must earn a minimum grade of C (2.0) in all required RCSC and RCTX courses. A student wishing to appeal should contact the RCSC chair within two weeks of notification of academic deficiency. Graduates are eligible to apply to sit for the examination to become nationally credentialed as a certified therapeutic recreation specialist (CTRS) and licensed recreational therapist (LRT) in North Carolina.

The degree requires a minimum of 120 s.h. as follows:

5. Electives to complete requirements for graduation.

Licensure/Certification Requirements in North Carolina

The curriculum for all ECU Certificates, Degrees, and Minors  have been designed to meet the licensure/certification requirements in North Carolina and prepare students to sit for licensure/certification exams in North Carolina. The various licensure boards in each state are responsible for setting requirements for licensure/certification in their state. Other states have their own requirements, and you’ll want to make sure your program meets criteria in your home state (or state where you intend to work) before you apply. Search our state  Licensure Dashboard to see if the program you’re interested in meets the educational requirements for licensing/certification in your home state (or state where you intend to work).

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Certificates, Degrees, and other Undergraduate Programs