Jul 14, 2024  
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog 
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Clinical Laboratory Science, BS

Program Coordinator: Guyla Evans (3410-B Health Sciences Building; 252-744-6063; evansgu15@ecu.edu)

Clinical laboratory scientists, also known as medical laboratory scientists or medical technologists, are hands-on scientists who provide accurate, timely diagnostic test results that directly impact patient care. These professionals perform biochemical testing of blood and body fluids, culture microbial pathogens, operate high-tech instrumentation, and prepare blood products for transfusion.

Admission into the professional phase of the program is competitive. A minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA in biology and chemistry courses is required, and majors must maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA in all clinical laboratory science (CLSC) courses during the professional phase of the curriculum. A student earning a D (1.0) in any of the CLSC courses must petition the Department of Clinical Laboratory Science for probationary continuation. Graduates are eligible for national certification.

The degree requires a minimum of 120 s.h. as follows:

1. General education requirements including those listed below - 40 s.h.

(For information about courses that carry general education credit view the General Education Program  section.)

4. Electives to complete requirements for graduation.

Licensure/Certification Requirements in North Carolina

The curriculum for all ECU Certificates, Degrees, and Minors  have been designed to meet the licensure/certification requirements in North Carolina and prepare students to sit for licensure/certification exams in North Carolina. The various licensure boards in each state are responsible for setting requirements for licensure/certification in their state. Other states have their own requirements, and you’ll want to make sure your program meets criteria in your home state (or state where you intend to work) before you apply. Search our state  Licensure Dashboard to see if the program you’re interested in meets the educational requirements for licensing/certification in your home state (or state where you intend to work).